[OM] Re: PhotoShop curiosity

Subject: [OM] Re: PhotoShop curiosity
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 22:00:11 -0700
> From: John Hudson <OM4T@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> I am presently using PhotoShop version 6.0.1
>
> There is no upgrade entitlement except to version 7 [I think] and
> that would
> be a step backwards since there have been upgrades beyond version 7...
>
> Can anyone please give me a thumbnail sketch of the additional
> features
> found in PS version CS3 and whether CS3 recognizes Olympus E510 / E3
> RAW
> files.

One "feature" that may cause you to NOT upgrade is that they began to
put "phone home" license authorization in -- starting in CS for
Windows, and CS1 for Mac. Thus, CS is the LAST version of Photoshop
I'll ever buy, until they remove oppressive authorization schemes.

Basically, if you are not on the Internet, Photoshop will stop working
after a while when it can't "phone home" to report on you after some
period of time.

<rant>I don't steal software, and I won't do business with any company
that treats me like a thief. Aperture does 85% of what I used to use
Photoshop for, and only requires a serial number keyed in on first
install. The extra 15% of stuff that I fire up Photoshop for just
isn't important enough for me to stay on their upgrade treadmill. At
last count, I've saved close to $1,000 in upgrade fees. I wonder if
the CSA counts me among the sales lost due to oppressive copy
protection, when they report all those gawd-awful statistics about how
the poor starving software companies are losing all sort of sales to
illegal use.</rant>

:::: Whenever I watch TV and see those poor starving kids all over the
world, I can't help but cry. I mean I'd love to be skinny like that,
but not with all those flies and death and stuff. -- Mariah Carey ::::
:::: Jan Steinman, http://www.EcoReality.org ::::