[OM] Re: Vancouver rocker

Subject: [OM] Re: Vancouver rocker
From: "Scott Peden" <scotpeden@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 21:24:25 -0700
I well remember 1964, Western Washington was separated from the Alaskan
quake by what, 20 seconds?

34 seconds is 14 seconds longer then a persons 'fight or flight' adrenalin
over ride will last, and as I recall each of those 14 seconds after the
first 20, were more like an hour long.

I was too busy holding onto some other kid who would have hurt themselves to
do more then just sit in awe of watching wave after wave of earth come at
us, and out the other window watch trees go down the side of the steep hill
next to the school house.

So.... just a tad off the coast, has never reassured me. I seem to get my
fair share of them, as my next one was the Whittier (Pasadena) quake, then
up north for the Loma Pieta (Oakland) quake, then back in S Ca for the
Northridge quake.

Where I live now, we have one Mountain that is made of granite, everything
else has a fault line or you are within 2 blocks of one..... Living on the
pacific Plate headed NWN while the rest of the US is on the North American
plate headed WNW makes for small things, like the Santa Cruz Mountains
(which are in facts the top of the San Andres Fault here)

Still beats tornados for me though, and a tad better then hurricanes at sea,
in my book, done them all.