[OM] Re: penn st. puke

Subject: [OM] Re: penn st. puke
From: Paul Braun <cygnus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 07:53:34 -0500

> James R wrote:
>> They were presumably just circumventing planning laws. But given
>> what's allowed in Seattle the developers may have had no trouble going
>> the legit route.

Here in our town, we had a family-style restaurant that closed after
roughly 40 years because a bank had made them an offer they couldn't
refuse for their property.

The bank then promptly tore down everything EXCEPT the back brick wall
and two little 8'-long wings to that wall.

Then they built the new bank branch.

"Why the hell would they do that?" one might ask.

The answer:  If they tore the whole structure down, then they would fall
under the "new construction" zoning with a whole other fee structure and
different permits and environmental studies.

By leaving up one wall, they fall under the "remodeling" zoning, which
is at least half the red tape and expenses.

The legal system is a wonderful thing.

--

Paul Braun
Valparaiso, IN

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon