[OM] Re: Middelburg - attention Wiliam?

Subject: [OM] Re: Middelburg - attention Wiliam?
From: "Wiliam Wagenaar" <wiliam@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 01:07:35 +0200
Hi Jez,

Great to let me know you are visiting Middelburg. Please let me know
when exactly and I will try and take the day or afternoon off. If I can
have some time off you are very wellcome here, also with your wife and
her brother.

There are a lot of things to be seen in the old part of the city if you
like old things, for example the town hall which is viewed best from one
of the terraces on the market square, the abbey (with possibly a visit
to the tower giving a nice view over the city and the whole island), the
Zeeuws Museum which has recently been renovated (haven't visited it
since so I don't know what can be seen now), the Kuyperspoort a very
narrow street with authentic houses from the 16th century, yacht harbour
with the modern sailing yachts in contrast with the old buildings mostly
former storage buildings and now homes for the few, the Spijkerbrug at
the yacht harbour which is tiny but beatifull and often used for wedding
photography. The Oostkerk which is built almost round and has a
spherical roof with a little tower. There are also lots of places to eat
and drink. If the weather is good  it is nice to sit outside and watch
the people walk by. Of course there also quite a number of the usual
shops, but also some galleries, mostly with paintings, but also ceramics
and als maps and pen drawings.

Unfortunately Tuesday is not a day when anything special is going on in
the city. We have the market at Thursdays and saturdays and antique and
book market at mondays.

If you like the seaside I can also advise you to visit the Boulevard in
Vlissingen. If you are lucky you can see very large merchant vessels
pass by so close you could throw a stone at it (well almost;-)). Lots of
other things to see in Vlissingen and a totally different  city,
although less then 10 km away from Middelburg.

Please let me know if there is something specific you would like to know
more details about. I will try and find it for you. I would like to meet
in person if I can get the day off. Please contact me off list if you
would like that too.

Best regards,

Wiliam