[OM] Re: Scott Kelby Photoshop Photowalks

Subject: [OM] Re: Scott Kelby Photoshop Photowalks
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 02:13:10 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> I attended the Binghamton, NY version and there were only about 15 photogs in
> attendance.  We're supposed to load photos to a Flickr group but so far I
> haven't a clue how to do it and the link I've been sent is distinctly
> unhelpful.  Maybe it's just my aversion to Flickr.
>
> Anyhow, I did pick out some shots but there's 49 of them and probably far too
> many for one person to send up to Flickr.  I've temporarily uploaded them to
> my own site at:  <http://www.chucknorcutt.com/Binghamton/>
>
> Tell me which you like and don't like and I'll get rid of the chaff.
Catching up; we had house guests Thurs. to Tues.

I liked many of the images. There are several I personally liked that I
wouldn't enter in a contest and others that I would.

I generally agree with your comment about tonality of the B&Ws. I would
handle the skies with separate layers, rather than force the whole image
for dark skies.

I particularly liked 895, 909, 910, 915,  939, 950, 963, 965 and 975. I
also liked 941, 955, 956, 971 and 988, but am not sure others would find
them interesting enough.

I couldn't resist playing with a few, which also allows me to illustrate
a couple of points.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Others/Norcutt/Binghampton>

That new lens of yours has some 'interesting" characteristics. In 921,
both edges of the left pillar bow out, while those of the right pillar
bow in opposite directions.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Others/Norcutt/Binghampton&image=img_6921e_std.jpg>

Then look at the upper left, where the window swoops up. The same thing
shows up in 625, where the roof line looks like it bends. Maye the
building is raising an eyebrow about what has been done on the front?
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Others/Norcutt/Binghampton&image=img_6925epc_std.jpg>

It's there again in 914, 915 and 920, where even after correcting the
barrel distortion, what I assume should be a fairly horizontal detail on
the building on the left swoops up.

Looks to me like there is a decentered element/group, as the effect is
only in one corner.

I hope the rest of my alternate approaches are self-explanatory. No, I
don't think my treatments of 910 and 991 (oops, there's that raised
eyebrow swoop again) are natural; I see them as abstracts.

Moose