[OM] Re: What are you using for HDR images?

Subject: [OM] Re: What are you using for HDR images?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 02:46:37 -0700
AS wrote:
> Then you should be all set. I didnt realize that you had CS3. There are HDR
> tutorials all over the net.
>
> I do agree that HDR can be overdone, however it can also be beneficial in
> bringing out details, particularly in areas which are very dark.

It seems to me that HDR software is being used to do things far beyond
the simple use of combining exposures to bring a broader dynamic range
into images. As one who has been known to manipulate images beyond any
natural look for "artistic" effect - i.e. to please me - I have no
objection to such use. But I do think the use of the same acronym for
both uses is confusing.

It seems some folks think HDR is a synonym for hopping it up until it
hurts ones eyeballs. ;-)
> I took the family to Pittsburgh for the weekend. Came back with some decent
> photos. There are a couple of HDR's, including a BW which I converted from an
> HDR image.
>
> The photos of the animals are NON-hdr but tonemapped using Photomatix:
>
> http://flickr.com/photos/4love/

I don't know  whether it is the HDR software or some other editing, but
the building images have really impressive sharpening halos. The angles
and whatever else was done are fine, but I really dislike the halos.
Here is a sloppy effort to remove them after the fact and on a tiny
image, but should show what I am talking about. Easy enough to avoid in
the first place.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/AliShah/Diplo.htm>

Moose