[OM] Re: [OM][OT] Speaking of Cutoof

Subject: [OM] Re: [OM][OT] Speaking of Cutoof
From: "Sandy Harris" <sandyinchina@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 07:41:56 +0800
Bob Docherty <lostkase@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  I was called into the Personnel Directors' office today and told I was being
> let go ...

Ouch! My sympathy, and wishes for good luck in whatever comes next.

> ... I just love this "Global Economy" :)

Definitely not for everyone, but a possibility some might consider is going
somewhere exotic as an English teacher. Photo opportunities abound.

Demand is nearly infinite and almost any native speaker can get work,
though the better jobs tend to require qualifications. Introductory article:
http://wikitravel.org/en/Teaching_English

In third world countries, the money is generally appalling by Western
standards. e.g I make just under $1000 a month here in China, some
of my friends nearer $500.

However, nearly every job provides a free apartment, income tax is
negligible, and prices for most things are really low. As long as  stay
in China, I have about the spending power that I would making $70,000
a year back in Canada. Paying for a trip home or saving up for a better
camera is hard, though.

--
Sandy Harris,
Quanzhou, Fujian, China