[OM] Re: WTB: OM-4T body

Subject: [OM] Re: WTB: OM-4T body
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 10:41:40 +0100
I agree with Moose that the earliest 4T bodies were champagne, they were
intended for the US market.  Champagne bodies marked 4Ti might be early
non-US market models, or might be later models from any market.  I can't
comment on the relative wear characteristics of champagne and black
versions, but I can say from experience that it's mighty hard to get paint
to adhere to titanium.  I suspect that the 3Ti (I have never seen a
bad-looking 3Ti) did not use paint, but powder coating.

As to serial numbers, you have to take care, as the base plates are so
easily switched between bodies, so the base plate from a late model
champagne 4Ti could find its way onto an early 4T body.  Equally, the body
outer panels were available as parts, so a 4T(i) of any vintage could find
itself with a new identity.  If the serial number begins with a "2", I would
suspect the base plate is such a replacement part.

The restorative effect of a re-body can be impressive.  For example, compare
<www.hemy.me.uk/Miscellany/Before.jpg> with
<www.hemy.me.uk/Miscellany/After.jpg>

A better indicator of the age of a 4T body is the small painted code inside
the cassette chamber, which indicates the assembly plant and month (if
memory serves).  Now, where did I put the decoding table....

Piers