[OM] Re: What I'm doing in 2008/2009 [was: What I'm doing in 2007]

Subject: [OM] Re: What I'm doing in 2008/2009 [was: What I'm doing in 2007]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2008 18:32:16 -0700
Michael Collins wrote:

> One thing that's become apparent already is the need for a small number of
> top-level galleries and more depth in the hierarchy. I suspect 'singapore'
> doesn't make it easy to move galleries, so my FTP client or Dreamweaver may
> be getting quite a workout as I go.

Singapore itself doesn't help with gallery movement, but your web space
provider may. The File Manager on IDCSoft did not provide for moving
files and directories when I last checked some time ago. However, they
now do so. It's now easy to grab files in a directory, create a new
subdirectory for them and move them there.

Singapore reacts simply. It now treats the old directory as a directory
holding galleries. If you copy an image file into it, that file will
become the thumbnail for it. It's really quite easy to split up a
directory that was a single gallery into one with the contents split
into several smaller galleries. No FTPing files back and forth. You may
also move galleries across to other parts of the overall Gallery.

I don't remember if I've posted about this: Singapore stores changes you
make in it's on-line interface in a comma separated values file. There
isn't one until you make any change to the default gallery, then it
appears. This makes annotating files a snap. Download the .csv file,
open it in a spreadsheet and fill in the blanks, then save it and upload.

It is MUCH faster and easier than using the web interface for
annotation. It also makes changing image order simple; something which
the Singapore interface does very awkwardly - or maybe not at all?

Moose