[OM] Singing the praises of PT Lens

Subject: [OM] Singing the praises of PT Lens
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 09:04:10 +0200
While I generally like to keep things simple (I do everything in
Lightroom, I do not mess around with other RAW converters, I keep my
manipulation to the minimum etc.), I must admit to having made an
exception this weekend by acquiring PT Lens for the princely sum of
$15 (which gives you an unlimited license to use it on all your
computers, whether Mac or Windows or both). I bought it for a very
specific reason: as much as I like the super-light combination of my
E420 and 25mm pancake, the lens does suffer from noticeable barrel
distortion, clearly visible in for example seascapes or images with
vertical lines close to the edges of the frame. I have resisted PT
Lens until now because it would have required me to treat the images
involved in a separate, stand-alone application. But as of Lightroom
2, PT Lens can be opened from within Lightroom, just like Photoshop,
making the whole experience completely painless. I have not played
with any of its settings, so the process is literally two steps: (1)
in Lightroom, I select "Edit in PT Lens", the image opens in PT Lens,
and I just click OK to return to Lightroom with the now corrected
image. Works like a charm. I have posted some examples on my site:

http://www.greatpix.eu/
(click on PT Lens demonstration under Featured Galleries to see 6
pairs of before/after images)

Those who have followed my posting know that I have a digital code of
conduct, which this violates. It does not mean that I am now on some
slippery slope which will lead me to the horrors of overdone HDR,
"artistic" Photoshop filters and the like. But PT Lens is a really
neat application which for me removes the only thing I disliked about
one of my favourite lenses. Highly recommended.

Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain
http://www.frozenlight.eu