[OM] Re: e330 question

Subject: [OM] Re: e330 question
From: <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 11:17:36 +0000
There is nothing special required.  Just don't allow the computer to erase
images.  Always reformat the card but only in the camera.  Cameras typically
add file folders unique to that camera which is why there may be problems if
the card is formatted in other than the camera it's to be used in.  And one
does not (normally) need to worry about reformatting hard drives periodically.
Much different case but it would take me a long time to explain it all.

It's also wise not to erase individual images in the camera.  This normally
doesn't cause any harm but if you ever need to use a data recovery utility
after an accidental format (I did it once by picking up the wrong card) you
will get all of your images back if you haven't erased selected images.  If you
have done erasures of selected images you will lose some of the non-erased
images, recover some of the erased images and have other images corrupted.

Don't worry about formatting wearing out your cards.  Flash memory does "wear"
by usage but modern flash cards should be good for a couple hundred thousand
write cycles.  Your camera's shutter will wear out first.

Chuck Norcutt