[OM] Re: e330 question

Subject: [OM] Re: e330 question
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 21:45:47 -0700
Jim Nichols wrote:
> Moose,
>
> My problem is evolutionary.  Up until about six months ago, my wife and I
> used several VCRs to take care of our time-shifting needs.
Much the same here. We use two VCRs and one VCR-DVD combo to time shift
everything we watch
> We like to watch recorded TV fairly late at night, and each has his/her own
> idea of what to watch.
We also watch mostly late, but have pretty similar tastes, so watch
together most of the time.
> When "my" VCR died, no one offered a simple VCR as a replacement. I
> researched what was available and purchased a combination VCR/DVD recorder
> with a built-in tuner, and used the VCR side as I had done in the past. Then,
> recently, the tapes recorded on the 6-hour speed refused to track correctly
> when played.
The Sony combo we bought seems to be a good DVD player, but the VCR side
is clearly of poorquality and much less user friendly than the older
Sony VCRs we have.
> The 2-hour speed still works, but this won't get a football game for me.
> Consequently, I decided to buy a cheap DVD player for the family room TV to
> replace the old VCR player, and to learn to record on the readily available,
> but never used DVD side of my recorder.

Ah, my inexpensive combo doesn't record DVDs
> The reason I have not considered a DVR is that I record in one part of the
> house and play back in another.  I have no interest in rewiring the house, or
> getting into some other exotic means of connectivity.
Since a DVR can record, often more than one program at a time, while
also playing a program, there's no need to have separate record and play
location.
> Another complication is that our local power company will start offering
> fiber-to-the-premises phone/cable-tv/internet in a couple of months, and I
> may see what they have to offer.  They may include a DVR in one of their
> packages.

They will certainly offer at least one DVR option.

Basically, I think I've been wasting a bit of money by dithering about
what to switch to from analog cable - digital cable, DirectTV or Dish.
The solution would be simpler if my telco could offer fast DSL in my
area. I think I'm going to have to wait until they restring for fiber
here. Because of service bundling for lower rates, there is no ideal
combination of function and price here at the moment. so I guess it's a
good thing that all our tape machines are still working. :-)

Now I only have to get up the energy to pull the guts out of the
Mitsubishi 55" projection TV and replace the convergence ICs - ick. I'd
like a plasma, but can hardly justify it when the M is an excellent TV
and the parts to get it working in top form again are a $50 sunk cost. :-)

Now where's that soldering iron and solder-wick got to?

Moose