[OM] Re: OM-1 vs OM-1n Noise/Vibration

Subject: [OM] Re: OM-1 vs OM-1n Noise/Vibration
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 12:48:40 -0700
Dawid Loubser wrote:
> Hi Group,
>
> Well, I finally received my OM-1n, and I am very happy with the condition of
> the camera, including working
> meter (though I have not yet tested it, and it has not been converted [yet]).
> This camera will be sent to John
> from zuiko.com sometime in anyway, but I wanted to ask a question: Has
> anybody noticed a distinct change in
> terms of vibration / noise when one compares OM-1 to OM-1n?

No inherent difference.
> The reason I ask, is my colleague's OM-1 has a distinctly silky smooth, quiet
> shutter (almost leica-like, it's
> just beautiful), whereas my OM-1n has a distinctly snappier, more focused,
> but louder shutter.

You are experiencing the difference between cameraas in different
conditions.
> Where changes made to accommodate the motor drive
Most OM-1 bodies were MD capable. No different from the 1n.
> , or is one of the cameras out of adjustment? I sure hope it's mine - it's
> still quiet, but not as stealth-like and silky as the other (older, slightly
> more beaten) camera.
>
> Anyway, as I said, a service will sort it out, but I was wondering whether
> anybody has noticed such a difference?

As you say, a service should sort it out. It's a mechanical mechanism.
Grease dries out and migrates, dust and dirt get into the mechanism,
etc. Only one of my OM-1 bodies has had a John Hermanson CLA and it is
really slick and smooth in operation and sound. A joy to use.

Moose