[OM] Re: FS 8mm OM-mount fisheye

Subject: [OM] Re: FS 8mm OM-mount fisheye
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 16:09:43 +0100
If it's the Zuiko you want, Dawid, take care, take great care.  You might
think that the front element is the delicate part - it might be vulnerable,
but it can be replaced.  It's the rearmost element that is the problem,
because there are *no* replacement available, to the best of my knowledge,
*anywhere*.  I do know of a European OMrepait agent who sent a
newly-supplied spare back to Olympus a couple of years ago, complaining that
the coating was damaged.  The duly accepted it back, inspected the others,
and threw the lot away - all unfit for sale.  Then they announced there were
no more to be had. Masterful timing.  As the agent said to me, "If I had
known, I would have taken them all to have them polished and re-coated, as I
did for the customer who brought the lens in for repair".

I think Ian Wilcox here has a similar, though more personal tale of woe.

--
Piers