[OM] Re: recommendations for tree menus

Subject: [OM] Re: recommendations for tree menus
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 13:52:14 +0200
Sorry list, I know this is off-topic:

John/Fabio,

What I always recommend, is to shy away *completely* from
JavaScript-driven menus, do it with plain (X)HTML and CSS, so that
your site
will continue to work on mobile phones, voice browsers, etc. without
the need
to add in transformation gateways / portals etc. when you need it.

A tree menu can be effected by simply using an HTML list:

> <ul class="menu">
>   <li>
>     Menu 1
>     <ul>
>       <li>Option 1.1</li>
>       <li>Option 1.2</li>
>       <li>
>         Option 1.3
>         <ul>
>           <li>Option 1.3.1</li>
>           <li>Option 1.3.1</li>
>         </ul>
>       </li>
>     </ul>
>   </li>

.. you get the idea. No scripting or other junk. Then, a couple of
simple rules in CSS could be attached to provide correct tree/drop-
down menu
behaviour. For example, rules like:

> /* Hide sub-menus... */
> ul.menu li ul
> {
>   display: none;
> }
>
> /* ... Unless the user's mouse hovers over the sub-menu item */
> ul.menu li:hover ul
> {
>   display: block;
> }

etc. Works like a charm for us - simple, configurable, non evil
JavaScript.
You really don't need any 'product' - commercial or free, to make this
work
better than most of those 'products' in anyway.

regards,
Dawid