[OM] Re: [SPAM] off camera flash?

Subject: [OM] Re: [SPAM] off camera flash?
From: "Jon Mitchell" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 22:46:48 +0100
Similarly, although I'm not a beemer driver my new "beast" is powered by
the 2-litre BMW Common-Rail Diesel engine (and very nice it is too).

I've heard varying results on what happens with Petrol in a Diesel
engine.

1) Friend of mine put 7 litres of Unleaded in his Citroen Diesel before
he realised "hang on, they don't do unleaded diesel ... do they ?".  It
was late, he was tired, etc.  AA advice was to fill it up with diesel
and keep driving, stopping every 20 miles or so to bounce the car up and
down to ensure the fuels mixed a bit.  Seemed to clear the engine out as
it sailed through the emissions test at the next MOT as "the cleanest
Diesel we've seen in a long time".

2) My Father filled his Rover 45 Diesel with Unleaded.  Drove it a
couple of miles down the road before it started misbehaving, and he
realised what he'd done.  Then (this is where I despair of him) he
thought to himself "it's only another 10 miles home, I'll just keep
going".  Made it another mile or so before it ground to an ungraceful
halt.  By some extremely odd stroke of luck, all it needed was the fuel
tank drained and the fuel filter replaced.  No apparent engine damage.

3) Despite both the above, everyone keeps telling me it's a very bad
thing to do.  I don't plan on trying it out soon though.

I don't really know the chemistry behind it all, but I know that one
burns much hotter than the other.  My own logic tells me that as Petrol
requires a spark to ignite it, and there are no spark plugs in a diesel
engine, then in theory once the ratio of Petrol to Diesel in the
cylinder gets too high it just won't ignite.  I'm not about to test it
out in my new toy though.

Totally OT, but here's a link to my new BMW-powered toy :

http://gallery.mg-rover.org/showphoto.php/photo/16845/size/big/cat/

Not actually mine (don't have pics of mine online yet) but very, very
similar (same model, same colour).  I think that might be the loony
Petrol 4.6L V8 version though ... definitely can't afford the fuel for
that one !

OM Content .... er, I've used it to carry my OM's (and E's) around
sometimes. :-)

Jon

<snip>

Oh sh*te...  as another oil-burning beemer driver (320cd) I'd like to
follow
up "what happens next"... keep us informed.
Jez

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 1:42 PM, Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> And I am being quite serious at the moment, owing to having just put
> 34litres of unleaded petrol in my beautiful Beemer (diesel).

</snip>