[OM] Re: Yellowed 24mm f/2.0 MC

Subject: [OM] Re: Yellowed 24mm f/2.0 MC
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2008 15:12:57 -0700
usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> .... My 2nd snipe was for a Tam 80-200 ... It had zoom creep. Anyway I could
> not abide the lens in that condition though it was probably fine for most
> purposes---sent it to Tamron.
> The glass is now pristine but the zoom creep in less than 2 months of light
> service I sent it back---they said it is not a macro lens and that is
> "normal." Huh??

I think they mean "normal" in the sense of "That's what they are all
like.", as opposed to "Functioning as you would wish it to.".

I have several Tamron zooms, from ancient to current in design and
manufacture, both push-pull and two touch. The only one without at least
some creep is the 35-80/2.8-3.8. In addition to being relatively small
and light, it has a more complex than usual internal zoom mechanism to
limit macro to the longer focal ranges. I figure it's that extra stuff
that keeps it from creeping.

Other makers have sometimes admitted the impossibility of preventing
zoom creep on heavy lenses over all temperatures and as the lens ages.
My Tokina 150-500 and Kiron 28-210 have adjustable friction settings.
The knob on the Kiron seems to be broken/stuck, but there is no way I'm
going to try to 'fix' it, as it's at the perfect setting.

Moose