[OM] Re: 16 bit tiff

Subject: [OM] Re: 16 bit tiff
From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2008 16:24:18 -0400
The advantage of 16 bit comes from when you do a lot of photoshop work on
it. Your screen can only show an 8 bit image, that's why you don't see a
difference on your freshly converted RAW files. If you increse contrast a
lot or do strong color correcting, you'll get posterization that you CAN see
both on screen and in prints if you use 8 bit files. So..if you get a
near-perfect file from your RAW converter, then 8bit is fine. If you like to
do a lot of tonal correction in Photoshop, use 16bit. You'll also want 16
bit if you use Photoshop to convert color photos to black & white.

--
Chris Crawford
Photography & Graphic Design