[OM] Re: A successor to my E1

Subject: [OM] Re: A successor to my E1
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 06:23:06 +0100
Hi Brian

Congratulations for your 70th!

I bought an E-3 to replace my E-1 and I am very happy with it.  I also
changed my 14-54 for the 12-60, also a very good piece of kit.  I have
heard that the 14-45 is on the mediocre side, so I would change that
anyway.

But the E-3 is a bit larger and heavier than the E-1 so you might wish
to consider the E-520; with the 14-42 kit lens (rather good) it's a
bit lighter and smaller as an ensemble than the E-3 with 14-54 or
12-60 (and cheaper).

As far as noise at high ISO is concerned, you will find that the E-3
and E-520 are much better than the E-1, although I had no particular
problem with the E-1.  But also, as Jan Steinman observed a few days
ago, with image stabilisation, the results from lower shutter speeds
are excellent; there is less need to go to higher ISOs.  In fact I
have not gone above ISO 800 recently.

Finally, I have the 35 Macro and 50-200 DZ lenses, but I use the 12-60
almost exclusively, such is the range of focal lengths and its close-
up capability.

If you have a broadband connection I should be happy to send you a
couple of RAW files for you to look at.

Cheers

Chris