[OM] Re: Addendum to query about successor to E1

Subject: [OM] Re: Addendum to query about successor to E1
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 16:34:24 -0700
John Hudson wrote:
> ....and none of those sizes will approach the 7" x 17" negatives from a
> banquet camera used by the head of the fine arts department at Mount Allison
> University in New Brunswick.
>
> See here: www.Holownia.com

Large images with intense detail are really difficult to represent in
web size images. Those that I viewed on this site are particularly bad.
They give me no sense at all of the results from such a camera.

I think this does a better job of giving an idea of what images from a
banquet camera of that size look/feel like.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Miscellaneous&image=_MG_3214-17bii.jpg>

Viewing the contact print even quite close up, but without a glass,
gives the impression of enormous detail out almost to the edges.

The actual amount of detail, while impressive, is less than the
impression it gives seen whole. High contrast contributes to the
impression of sharpness and detail, but loses shadow and highlight
detail. Here's a full pixel detail.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Miscellaneous&image=_MG_3214-17bfp1ii.jpg>

This image is a combination of two shot with the 5D and Tamron 90/2.8
macro lens. I took more overlapping shots, but only needed the two. I
believe the grain seen in the 100% view is film grain. Also, the sample
is as good as resolution/sharpness gets in the image and it declines to
the sides. So I think the print is in part lens limited. I also have
read taht film flatness was a problem with these cameras, which may also
be part of the reason for subtly different apparent resolution in
different parts of the image.

All this also may mean that the 5D with excellent lens out resolves the
original camera/film combo in the vertical dimension. My wild guess is
that a single 5DII image cropped to these proportions would meet or beat
the original. With newer lens and current film quality, probably not.

The bride turns 90 this year.

Moose