[OM] Re: Addendum to query about successor to E1

Subject: [OM] Re: Addendum to query about successor to E1
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 17:40:11 +0200
I am always amazed at why different Cameras manage to create such a stir
between people. Here I am, actually actively investing in film OM gear
to use
on a day-to-day basis, perhaps in replacement of my current (very
nice) Canon
kit of a 1-series body an L primes.

I am also expanding my Mamiya RB kit. Does it depress me to know that a
quick high-ISO snapshot at near zero cost from a 5D MkII now
equals or exceeds an expensive, carefully made shot on slide film with
my Mamiya RB?

Not at all - if this were the case, nobody would be painting, or
drawing with
charcoal anymore. And sure, those methods have fallen by the wayside for
commercial portraits or any form of commercial illustration, but as
art mediums,
they are very much alive.

Once we start using old cameras, we have to stop bickering about image
quality
issues, and focus on the images themselves. Imagine if, in the art
world, different
brushes or paints were as heavily contested as our cameras? (or, maybe
they are,
but I sure have not seen it).

Though, I do admit, the posts that precede this one seem to be more
about
aggression and ranting - but we should all just "chill, Winston" (did
anybody see "Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels"? I loved it.)

I for one am happy to be investing a lot of time and effort to learn
to make
lower-resolution, grainy B&W photos :-) At least I have reason to use an
OM-1 every day then.

Have a nice day all, and remember, every day, there are a million
people having
a worse day, because of much bigger issues, than what you are
experiencing today.

(for example, a colleague of my fiancée's, a young woman doctor in the
oncology
field - with so much going for her - committed suicide two days ago.)

cheers