[OM] Re: Addendum to query about successor to E1

Subject: [OM] Re: Addendum to query about successor to E1
From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 09:33:24 -0500
 AF wrote:
>Can I go and get one or do I have to hide indoors until the
> courier knocks on the door with mine, quivering in a corner
> with rage and shame?

Save the rage for the fact that you need to go buy all new lenses because
the old "great ones" are obviously not so great anymore.  Or, just put a few
Zuikos on it.  However, shame is another story.  Somebody with such an
eclectic collection of cameras as you should be totally shamed because we
now know that only one camera is worthy.  All others are garbage.  Feel free
to ship a few of them to me.  I'll even spring for shipping.

The point of what I wrote is as follows:

1. The new 5Dmk2 is most likely (we don't know for sure yet as we've only
seen not too honest samples--we haven't seen enough real-world examples yet
to determine where the skeletons lay) able to out-resolve any other
attainable digital camera currently in production. This will be pretty
indisputable and is a testiment to the fact that technology keeps marching
forward.

2. Landscape photography does place special demands on resolution. If my
livelyhood was dependant upon selling double-width A0 prints, I wouldn't
hesitate to go this direction myself.  But in reality, if my livelyhood was
dependent on selling bedspread-sized prints (and the sale prices were truely
representative of it), I'd be shooting with the latest Phase-One back, so I
can get the better color-depth and other nice traits of a MF back.  If the
print sale revenues aren't enough to pay for a Phase-One, just maybe the
issue isn't the camera, it's the photographer.

3. Cameras, such as the 5D and 5Dmk2 are allowing every two-bit hack with a
tripod to be able to claim to be a professional landscape photographer.

4. Through the years, Kodak, Ilford and Fuji introduced new and improved
films.  For example, T-Max B&W film was supposed to be tons better (ie, less
grain, better resolution) than the "old" films, such as Tri-X, Plus-X, HP5,
etc.  However, these new and improved films were never able to replace these
old films.  Tri-X is still popular today.  Yes, this is a horses-for-courses
argument, yet it does point out that there is more to life than
"resolution".

5. Be careful of "one-trick ponies".  I prefer a camera system that fits all
of my needs as well as possible, but may not be exceptional at any one
thing.  The new 5Dmk2 addresses many deep concerns that many of us had with
the 5D.  It's nice to see Canon actually step up and add a few REAL
usability features to make those megapixels actually usable.
AG