[OM] Re: Yashica 1000mm lens

Subject: [OM] Re: Yashica 1000mm lens
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 18:09:36 -0400
I checked the old Modern Photo tests of mirror lenses and there's no
Yashica of any focal length and the only 1000mm tested was a Meade.  But
Yashica generally made good stuff so I wouldn't be too concerned about
purchasing it if it's in good condition and you get a good price.

But some other thoughts.  There's a reason why you only see Meade listed
in the 1000mm range.  At 1000mm you are basically in telescope
territory.  Given the narrower angle of view of the e-camera it will be
more like using a 2000mm lens on a 35mm camera.  Been there, done that
with my 2000mm Celestron 8.  When you get that long and with that narrow
a field of view it is extremely important to have
1) a massive tripod and sturdy head
2) a wider field finder to be able to locate your viewing target.

If you're intent on 1000mm or above I think I'd skip the "lens"
designation and go straight to a true telescope which is designed to
resolve points 1) and 2) above.  Meade and Celestron are the principal
and low cost purveyors of same.

Chuck Norcutt