[OM] Re: paypal

Subject: [OM] Re: paypal
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 19:52:42 -0400
The "state" tax in New York is the same in all jurisdictions at 4%.
However, counties and cities or other governing bodies within a county
may have their own taxes as an add on.  New York City, for example, has
a substantial add on tax.

But despite New York's reputation as a high taxing state I was surprised
in our recent travels to encounter a few places even higher.  Hotel tax
  rates are often very high due to special "welcome traveler" tax rates
generally found in tourist areas so I don't consider those in comparing
general sales taxes.  But lunch in Sedona, Arizona carried a sales tax
above 10%.  There were one or two other places as well that were well
above 9% thus getting above the New York City level which is 8.375%.  My
local tax rate is 8%.  4% for the state of New York and 4% for the
county of Broome.  All the gory New York state tax details and a tax
calculator can be found here
<http://www.earthodyssey.com/sales_tax.html>

Dr. Poor