[OM] Macs r us

Subject: [OM] Macs r us
From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 11:34:20 -0500
I'm needing some advice please.  The failure of my current laptop computer
(I only use laptops, no deskbound computers) is quite eminent.  It literally
has no more legs to stand on--even the rubber feet have fallen off and been
replaced with little squares of moleskin left-over from the last Isle Royale
workshop.  The laundry list of things broken, fried, fallen off, bent or
busted has reached a point of no return.  Another coat of duct-tape won't
even help anymore.  In case you think I'm exaggerating, I could email
pictures of the computer for visual proof.

Anyway, for the first time in my life, I'm seriously considering purchasing
a Mac.  Yes, Virginia, miracles do happen.

The new Macbook has a glossy screen which is not a problem for me as I've
been using one for the past three years and am happy with it, but they've
also removed the Firewire port. This may or may not be an issue as my only
Firewire device is the E-1 and if I'm going to do any audio production I
don't use plug-in devices as I have a real Yamaha digital-audio workstation
which I trust more than devices without locking mechanisms on the jumper
wire jacks.

One reason why I'm looking seriously at Mac is Aperture.  Adobe Lightroom
seems to have instantly become a standard, but I have two issues with it:
1. It does not render Olympus RAW files as well as other converters and 2.
The Adobe Upgrade Treadmill.  I want to "fire" Adobe from my life like I'm
tempted to "fire" Windoze.  Can you say "software rot"?  Is Aperture a
dead-end or do you feel that it is a reasonably safe direction to go?

My budget limit for computer plus software is $2000 USD.  I see that
Aperture is $200, so that limits my hardware cost to $1800.  The Macbook Pro
has the larger screen, but I also like the idea of a more portable
computer--one not quite so hefty as I've been lugging around for the past
three years.  I have a halfway decent CRT still at home, which I can use
when I'm needing more real-estate, but yet, I'm quite used to doing all my
editing on a 15.4" screen for the past three years.  The tiny 13" screen on
the Macbooks are a bit tight for anything other than basic field work and
I'd have to use the external monitor.

I use my computers for a minimum of three years.  I'm wanting something a
bit tougher this time--the plastic Gateway I'm currently using has proven to
be too wimpy for my level of abuse.

Which versions of the Macbook should I be considering and how should I have
them optioned?  This is new territory for me and if I can't get past the
heebie jeebies, I'll end up snagging a Lenovo or some other Windoze machine
with a solid case for less money.  Please keep in mind, my financial limit
and the fact that this is a solo machine with no desktop computer to shift
the heavy lifting to.
AG