[OM] Re: Macs r us

Subject: [OM] Re: Macs r us
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 15:15:44 -0400
I can't address the reality of the ORF file "problem" since I know
nothing about it.  But what makes you think that getting off the Adobe
Upgrade Treadmill leaves you any better off than jumping onto the Apple
Upgrade Treadmill?  Sure looks to me like there is one.  Check the
number of functional improvement releases since the original release in
Nov. 2005... 1.1, 1.2, 1.5, 2.0 and 2.1.  2.1 was released in Mar. 2008
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Aperture#Version_history>

Apple is giving you an upgrade "opportunity" on average about every 6
months.  I assume that the point releases are free but the functional
releases are not.  At least B&H charges $99.95 for an upgrade from 2.0
to 2.1.1.  Looks to me like out of the frying pan into another frying
pan.  And you get to pay more for the hardware to boot.  Caution, Will
Robinson.

Chuck Norcutt