[OM] Re: Macs r us

Subject: [OM] Re: Macs r us
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 23:19:08 -0700
> From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> I assume that the point releases are free but the functional
> releases are not.

Bad assumption. For Aperture, you pay from any 1.x to get to 2.x. All
upgrades since 2.0 have been free and automagic, via Software Update.
At least in my case!

> At least B&H charges $99.95 for an upgrade from 2.0
> to 2.1.1.

I think they either made a mistake, or are purposely gouging. Knowing
B&H, I assume the former, and they probably meant "from 1.0 to 2.1.1."

(BTW: it's up to 2.1.2 now, which is an automagic upgrade from any 2.x
via Software Update. I know, because I just re-installed 2.0 from CD
on a new hard drive, and Software Update did the rest.)

> And you get to pay more for the hardware to boot.

Only if you keep your Windoze hardware as long, which most people do
not. And I would submit that if you typically keep your Windoze
hardware longer than average, you'll keep your Mac hardware even
longer. I'm routinely using an EIGHT YEAR OLD Mac for drum scanning,
giclee printing, occasional PS7 use, and as a guest computer. Most
eight year old Windoze machines are in landfills. My main daily use
machine (heavy Aperture and graphics use) is over four years old. Most
four-year-old Windoze machines are donated or handed down. My laptop,
that I teach class on, is five years old.

Plus, the resale value of Macs is higher. Don't believe me; do your
own eBay research.

Yes, Macs cost a bit more. You get what you pay for.

:::: The per capita wattage that is critical for social well-being
lies within an order of magnitude which is far above the horsepower
known to four-fifths of humanity and far below the power commanded by
any Volkswagen driver. -- Ivan Illich ::::
:::: Jan Steinman http://www.EcoReality.org::::