[OM] Re: Macs r us

Subject: [OM] Re: Macs r us
From: "Jon Mitchell" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 00:32:41 -0000
Hi Ken,

I'm a little late on the reply, and I haven't seen if anyone has also
responded with this, but for the FireWire issue you could always go for
an additional Firewire port on a PCMCIA (or whatever they are called on
a mac) card.

We are currently looking (at work) for a MacBook Pro to do Final Cut
Pro.  With an external firewire raid drive and a FireWire SDI/ASI
input/output device we need an extra port.  Our supplier seems to think
that an external Firewire expansion card is not a problem (and better
than a Firewire hub in our case, as the MacBook Pro seems to have 1
Firewire port ?).

Oh, and at the risk of being shot down in flames, my opinion (and also
the opinion of our IT Support people) is that Windows Vista is the best
marketing strategy that Apple ever had.  The number of people literally
BEGGING to get a PC with XP on it rather than Vista is quite scary.  If
you go Windows, make sure you have the XP downgrade (or "upgrade" as we
call it) option.  And the number of people saying they are seriously
considering switching to mac rather than take a Vista machine is also
surprisingly large.  Personally, I use both at home and recognise that
both have their strengths.  If pushed I'd say that I really prefer the
mac, but I would be foolish not to keep my PC knowledge up-to-date due
to the technical and PC-oriented nature of my job.  That said, I'm
typing this on the PC - just because I actually really like Outlook (MS
got that one right IMHO).

Regards,

Jon

PS: Someone GAVE you that camera ?  I'm torn between all-out envy,
disbelief, and a strange feeling that perhaps there IS good in mankind
after all (if only on this list).