[OM] Re: Computer Question for processing e-3 images

Subject: [OM] Re: Computer Question for processing e-3 images
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 18:27:58 -0400
I don't know anything about this machine but I think I'd prefer to have
one of those drives be external so that it can be easily swapped with
another.  My own Dell laptop is a Vostro 1500.  After using it on the
road for the past nearly 7 weeks to do daily image downloading and
backup I realized that what it needed more than anything was a couple of
  60-80 GB external USB drives to avoid hassling with DVDs.  Mine also
has integrated video and (a bit slower) Intel Core 2 Duo processors but
with only 2GB RAM.  I think it has plenty of horses to do image
processing as it is but the screen has such gawd-awful color I don't
even like to look at images there.  I wouldn't use it for image
processing without an external monitor except for operations where you
could ignore the fact that the color looks awful.

I don't know how you can evaluate the color without seeing the screen in
action.  I read some of the reviews on this machine at Dell's site but
the reviewers seem to be gamers or audiophiles who complain about the
tinny speakers with no bass. Not much to go on for image processing.

Chuck Norcutt
(owner of the Krappy Kolor laptop)