[OM] Re: Computer Question for processing e-3 images

Subject: [OM] Re: Computer Question for processing e-3 images
From: james king <jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 22:33:34 +0000
inital thoughts,
processors looks ok, memory is generous.
video card is a poor choice for games playing probably OK for 2d work,
laptop hard disks tend to be quite slow and a 5400rpm quite slow (most
desk top are 7200rpm and its posible to buy 10Krpm e.g. western digital
raptor) I have seen laptops with 7200rpm drives and a slow drive is
going to effect program loading times, file load and save times and when
windows needs to swap to disk.
Screen quality is a little difficult to assess without accurate
measurements or playing with it. The major problem I have had is that
many flat screens can not actually display 8 bits per colour and as a
result they either blockup the shadows or the highlights either of which
is undesirable - many cheap flat screen tvs and monitors do the same
thing. This is well worth checking for if you can play with one. In my
experience PVA screens are more expensive but the driving electronics
seem better - and often handle all 8 bits per channel. TN+ seems
reasonable and standard TN just does not seem to handle 8 bits per
channel at all. Buts is luck of the draw and few seem to want to say
what the driving electronics actually does or the bit depth it can
really handle...

You may also want to look at the cost of a spare battery and the battery
life, - look at independent reviews laptop manufacturers, like camera
manufacturers seem to radically overestimate battery life....
My 2 pence worth
James

Companies Act 2006 : http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/companyinfo