[OM] Re: Computer Question for processing e-3 images

Subject: [OM] Re: Computer Question for processing e-3 images
From: WayneS <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 08:24:40 -0400
At 10:26 PM 10/28/2008, you wrote:
>David Irisarri wrote:
>> I think everybody knows the experience of updating your computer and realize
>> that Windows runs with the same low speed, you lost everyday your system
>> configuration, speakers setup, etc... You lose personal data when Windows
>> crashes, etc...
>>

>Not really. I know some others have what appear to be endless problems.
>I've used Windoze for what seems like forever, starting to play with
>something like ver. 1.2(2.1?), an odd little thing that ran under DOS
>and was more toy than OS.
<snip>

To further add to Moose, windoze has started to "certify" drivers, etc as that
is often the source of problems with windoze - being a more open system,
while Apple has tighter control of the software drivers that gets installed.

I recently tried to update XP to SP3 and it would bomb saying the ntoskrnl.exe
(the kernel) was modified. So I ran all the rootkit analysis programs I could
find.

Turned out to be a non-certified ATI graphics driver was hooking into the
kernel.
The latest ATI drivers are certified and don't have a problem. Once ATI was
uninstalled, SP3 installed with no problems.

The other problem with Windoze is the registry and potential corruption if
the user installs and removes lot's of stuff, with the size getting large
and sluggish = software rot. The registry is (one of) windoze Achilles heal.

Anit-virus software hooks into the OS as deep as a potential rootkit might.
Norton (not Ag) being one of the worst experiences I have had, while my
experience with Eset Nod32 has been good. So what happens when you
have anti-virus blocking some driver due to its behavior?

I think a lot of the blame for Windoze problems is really OEM vendor software
and even more so, anitvirus software.

I'm a part time developer, and Micro$oft is good to developers. People complain
they have a monopoly and take advantage. I'm sure there are those types in the
all companies. I also saw how much Apple took advantage in the early days,
which left a bitter taste in my mouth that I have never gotten rid of.

Someday we will question Google's dominance, if not already. Or phone
companies, or Oil companies, or the republicans, or the democrats, or
Can*n, or Home Land Security, or Banks, or ...

Diversity in the market is best. VMWare is cool, as I can run linux on my
WinDoze
box, or WinDoze on my linux box.

WayneS