[OM] Re: OT fun with digicams and super WA

Subject: [OM] Re: OT fun with digicams and super WA
From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 16:32:23 -0500
 >Well assuming the G10 is not that dissimliar from the G9 (seems to be
>the case AFAIK) the major comparison image was right at the sweet spot
>of the lens in light not challenging the lower dynamic range of the
>sensor.

I believe that the lesson that can be learned by this is almost ANY camera
will deliver the goods under ideal conditions.  These conditions may include
lighting, environmental and usage.  Also, consider the conditions of the
"final output".  MR put enough disclaimers in his articles to choke a horse.

I looked at those images he provided and went into serious drool mode.
WOW.  But then I consider how I use a camera and realize that most of the
time I'm personally working outside of the sweetspot of most cameras.  All
cars handle great at 10 MPH, but few do at 100 MPH.  The conditions which
those comparison pictures were taken were the equivelent to driving 10
MPH.  These were photographic snoozer conditions.

What we have learned is the G10 has LOT'S of megapixels and has a sharp
lens.  Combine those two factors, and it's going to be very hard to tell the
difference (in sharpness) with a Phase One digital back of similar working
pixels and sharp lenses.  Other factors creep into what we deam "image
quality" and once the reviewers have gotten over the sheer resolution
factor, they are realizing where some of those weaknesses are.
Personally, I get a bit tired of MR's "greatest thing since sliced bread"
accolades he places on any new camera he gets his mitts on.  The moment the
new one comes out he dis's the previous model which he praised to high
heaven but never follows up with corrections to his earlier misguided
cool-aid drinking.  At least Ken Rockwell had the decency to do followups to
his initial observations about the G10 and puts it into proper perspective.

MR's reviews need to be kept in the perspective of this golden oldie:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/d30/d30_vs_film.shtml

AG (post-modern and proud of it) Schnozz