[OM] Re: focus blend CS4

Subject: [OM] Re: focus blend CS4
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 12:19:03 -0400
I'm not experienced enough yet with focus stacking to comment based on
personal experience but I have heard (and believe that it should be so)
that when doing macro it is best to move the entire camera and lens
combo for refocusing.  The reason is that refocusing by altering the
distance between lens and image plane changes the magnification even if
only slightly.  That, of course, gives the stacking software fits and
may be the cause of some of my failures trying to use CombineZ.  But
perhaps PS's image alignment capability between layers can resolve that
problem or at least minimize it.  In any case I still think that moving
the camera when up really close should deliver better results.

Chuck Norcutt