[OM] Re: OT-Big Blow

Subject: [OM] Re: OT-Big Blow
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 14:56:06 -0400
On Oct 29, 2008, at 3:39 PM, Moose wrote:

> Winter Rockweed, for example, just knocked me out even at 8x10
> <http://www.bwp33.com/page12/files/page12-1008-full.html>.

Full disclosure forces me to confess this image actually was shot
with an Olympus OM-2N, with 50mm f/3.5 macro on Fuji Velvia.

The temperature was hovering around zero. The sun had not yet popped
over the trees lining the east flank of Pemaquid Beach. I had been
taking other pictures, and was bent into the wind, walking back to my
car, with my rather broad tush frozen solid and my fingers just short
of frostbit. I had a half-mile to go and I saw this rockweed hanging
vertically off a large boulder. I hesitated. I knew it would be a
good shot. But my gear was packed up and I was near froze to death.
But because we do what we must to for The Shot, I unlimbered my
tripod and camera, set up for the shot, and managed somehow to trip
the shutter. Then I packed it all up again and struggled back into
the wind, making it to my car just ahead of a fatal brush with
hypothermia.

My goodness, what we endure for our art!

--Bob Whitmire
"Art's just fart without the eff."
www.bwp33.com