[OM] Re: It is now official - My primary camera bag is now aDigital-F

Subject: [OM] Re: It is now official - My primary camera bag is now aDigital-Free Zone
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 16:48:53 -0400
Your digital TTL flash rant is on the mark.  The problem is that, after
all the development effort put into TTL OTF flash control (yes, others
had it after Oly) it had to be given up with digital because of the
shiny sensor.  So they resorted to measurement of a pre-flash which is
not reliable except over a fairly short distance and doesn't return
enough light in bright fill flash situations to give the camera reliable
info.  With the right camera body and right lens the camera may measure
the focusing distance (ala Minolta and Canon) and compute flash exposure
that way but it's only valid for direct flash without any diffusion
modifiers.  In other words, it may give you good exposure for a harshly
lit photo... maybe even with some red-eye.  :-)

If you read Crockett's articles on digital TTL flash you'll see the he
recommends that TTL flash not be used at all for fill flash because of
the pre-flash brightness problem.  Instead, he recommends using flash
controlled auto mode... you know, the little sensor in the "O" of
Olympus on the T-32.  Nikon, and Oly too I think, have kept the auto
mode around all the time but Canon abandoned it long ago (even on film
era flashes) until just recently.  The big dog Canon flash (the 580 EX
II) incorporates an auto mode sensor but getting it turned on requires
groping through the flash's menu system.  Not well done.

I agree that manual fill flash can be a problem with fast action and
rapidly changing light.  I guess I should try a T-32 or Vivitar 285 in
auto mode for daylight fill flash and see how it works.  :-)

Chuck Norcutt