[OM] Re: On a clear day, you can see a lot more... [was Nathan's PAW 43:

Subject: [OM] Re: On a clear day, you can see a lot more... [was Nathan's PAW 43: a whole bunch of stuff]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 21:16:51 -0700
AG Schnozz wrote:
> Moose wrote:
>
>> Not better, but certainly a different feeling. And a poster
>> image for my
>> argument that most filters aren't needed for digital.
>> <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Wajsman/43.htm>
>>

> The modified image is definitely in the "West Coast" vein.  Not evil by any
> means, but losing a bit of sublety and mood that I feel in the original.
>
> However, that said... There are several "rules" regarding B&W photographs.
> One particular "rule" is to define your boundaries. These boundaries provide
> visual points of reference. B&W is "abstract" by its very nature. Abstract
> works require points of reference otherwise your brain is stuck in "what is
> it?" mode.

I don't know the formal rules. I was concerned about boundaries, making
both the one at the closer ridge, the one between the left massif and
the more distant one and the one between mountains and sky fairly clear.
> What then would be an adequate visual boundary or point of reference?
> Typically in B&W, that would be an anchoring white and an anchoring black
> somewhere within the photograph.  In the original, there is neither.
> However, in Moose's modification, I feel that he stretched the contrast a
> touch too far and lost the sublety in the midtone gradients.  I would have
> rather seen the outer levels stretched and the midtones kept more intact.
> This would have provided the "boundaries" yet kept the moodiness in the photo.

For my purposes, I wasn't trying to retain the moody nature of the
original. However, once you mentioned it, I tried that in Version 1.
Version 2 is similar to my original, but with gentler midtones. Version
3 is my original, "West Coast" version.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Wajsman/43.htm>
> But this is just my opinion.

I've worked very little with B&W in the last several decades, whereas
you are quite expert at it.

Moose