[OM] Re: More comparisons [was Comparison shots]

Subject: [OM] Re: More comparisons [was Comparison shots]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2008 20:53:39 -0800
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> For Moose images #19 appears a little undersaturated and #17 even more so.

I intentionally made no color adjustments, as part of the point was to
show how well a scan can come straight out of the scanner using VueScan
and ICC profile.

Nevertheless, I think they are pretty true to the subjects. Neither
plant has bright green foliage, both soft colored, with a bit of
grayishness. Likewise, the flowers seem natural to one who sees them
regularly. They could certainly be enlivened with a bit of saturation
boost. Oddly enough, I very seldom make saturation adjustments. LCE
generally has a similar effect on color brilliance. I need LCE less
often on ICC profile scans than other images, and didn't use it here.

> But that aside they appear to be fine scans.

Thanks. The 9950F is not quite up to the FS4000 film scanner in fine
detail, higher nominal resolution or not. And its scans require
more/different sharpening. But for most purposes, it's quite
satisfactory. With the older films I primarily bought it to scan, I
don't suppose there is any difference. From Vincent's reviews of the
two, I can't imagine the V700 won't be comparable.

Moose