[OM] Re: Best focusing screen for low-light / shallow DOF

Subject: [OM] Re: Best focusing screen for low-light / shallow DOF
From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 09:42:44 -0600
The 1-4 or 2-4 screen would probably be the best choice.  (I'm assuming OM
body).

The 1-series is darker and coarser.  However, with wide-angles, it is also
more accurate.  There are a couple of lenses which will not easily focus on
a 2-series screen, such as the 35/2.  I struggle with the 35/2.8 and
24/2.8.  The Tokina AT-X 35-70/2.8 was also extremely difficult to focus on
a 2-series screen. The bokeh characteristics of the 1-series are MUCH more
accurate to what is captured on the film.

My OMs have 2-13 and 2-4 screens installed.  The 2-series screens are so
bright that the "matte" area is essentially the same brightness as the
center split-image/microprism area.

>From an artistic perspective, I prefer the 1-4 screen the most.  But for
usability, the 2-4 is much much better.  However, for speedy operation (I
use my cameras to photograph people activities too), the 2-13 is king.

In the 2S, 3, 4, 3Ti, 4Ti, any screen works fine with no exposure
compensation necessary as the metering is totally done within the mirror
box.

AG-Schnozz