[OM] Dealing with astigmatism through the viewfinder

Subject: [OM] Dealing with astigmatism through the viewfinder
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2008 07:07:45 -0500
Tom Fenwick asked me some usage questions about the Canyon EE-s focusing
screen I mentioned here recently.  That's the one that is designed to
improve manual focus but is recommended only for lenses of f/2.8 or faster.

I had to beg off because I soon gave up using the thing because of poor
eyesight.  I have a fair amount of astigmatism in both eyes and, during
my most recent vision check a week ago I discovered that it has grown
worse and both eyes are now quite different from each other.  Up until
about 1-1/2 years ago I had been able to make do on manual focusing with
just a simple diopter adjustment... either a slip on for the early OMs
or the built-in diopter adjustment on the Mynolta A1, Canyon 5D and, the
most recent acquisition, an OM-4 from Moose.

But now I have a different problem.  I can get away with hyperfocal
methods when using shorter Zuiko primes for landscape work but, as I
said in my reply to Tom, if I'm ever to use my manual focus macros again
(Zuiko 50/3.5 and Viv. S1 90/2.5 with 1:1 adapter) I'm going to have to
come to grips with the astigmatism.

So my question is how do y'all recommend I do this?  A separate
correction lens for the viewfinder?  If so, how do I attach it and
account for the need for correct rotational positioning of a lens
designed for astigmatic correction?  Or do I just use my distance vision
glasses and adjust the diopter dial on the camera as needed.  I've also
just ordered my first ever set of bifocals.  They've not arrived yet.
Any problems with using them looking through the viewfinder?

Thanks,
Chuck Norcutt