[OM] Re: Wanted: 8mm f/2.8 Fisheye

Subject: [OM] Re: Wanted: 8mm f/2.8 Fisheye
From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 15:04:27 -0600
iwert wrote:
>I can only say: I'ld love to! My OM's are craving to get used, but...
>Digital is waaaaaay cheaper this side of the pond. And there economics come
>in the calculation...

Fair enough.  I understand there are locations where film availability and
processing are slim to none.  Also, I understand financial costs associated
with film.  There is a reason why the only 'Chromes I shoot anymore are old
rolls of Provia left from a stockpile three years ago.  E-6 is outrageously
priced for film+processing.  It hurts when you know that every shutter-click
costs a minimum of $0.50 USD.

Fortunately, the tightwad in me has found a few alternatives.  I have had
exceptionally good results with $1.00 USD rolls of Fuji print film which I
can get processed (with no prints) for as low as $1.64.  At 25 usable shots
per roll, that's less than $0.11 USD per shot.  I only do a full scan of
what I want to further deal with.
Another option, if commercial processing is getting to be difficult to find,
is to shoot B&W and process it yourself.  This ends up being about 30% of
the cost of shooting E-6.

Availability of quality 4000 dpi scanners is definitely a concern.  However,
you have something that might solve that problem.  Your E-3 might make a
very good scanner.  I've actually gotten very decent results with my E-1 and
I think Moose has had success with his 5D.  If you decide to get a scanner,
the Nikons are highly recommended because of their build-quality and ease of
operation.  They do a fantastic job and nothing breaks down.

AG