[OM] Re: Using OM Gear [Was: 8mm f/2.8 Fisheye]

Subject: [OM] Re: Using OM Gear [Was: 8mm f/2.8 Fisheye]
From: Brent <brutherford@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 10:53:09 +1100

On 05/11/2008, at 4:48 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
> Just yesterday, I shot two rolls of Ilford PanF and 1/2 a roll of
> Provia in
> the OM-4T and OM-3Ti on a personal project.  What have the rest of
> you shot
> lately?

I shot a couple of rolls on a recent business trip... we ended up
staying at Torrey Pines Golf Course, visiting Miramar Naval air base,
and other such frivolities.

Took along one of my OM-1's, which I'd had an attempt at fixing up.
Unfortunately not too well it seems as there's a bit of a consistent
light leak there in one corner.   Ahh well, one day I'll get around to
sending a camera to John.

Had the 50mm / 1.4 and the 100mm 2.8 Zuikos with me.

The film I had with me was wrong for the conditions (800 ISO for the
bright sunny days... and 400 ISO for the night shots).

While I really enjoyed taking the photos, and I absolutely love
handling the OM gear, I can't help but wish I'd had a digital body and
even a big fat high quality zoom... I would have looked at the results
of some of these photos, quickly adjusted the settings, and retaken.
The ISO would have been set appropriately, I could have got in close
to those birds and choppers, and I would have had multiple tries at
getting things right (without breaking the bank).  The resulting image
files would be more flexible, lower noise / grain.

None of this would have made me a better photographer, but it sure
would have increased the chances of me transferring the image I had in
my head into a form I could show other people.

To get these two rolls of film developed, scanned and one set of 6x4
prints cost upwards of AUD$50, for maybe 5-6 images I would consider
printing at a larger size.  Develop and scan would have been cheaper
($20+), but still...

I'm afraid that the digital siren call still resonates in my ears...

http://web.me.com/brent_rutherford/Photos/Albums/Albums.html

Brent