[OM] Dealing with astigmatism through the viewfinder

Subject: [OM] Dealing with astigmatism through the viewfinder
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2008 19:52:27 -0500

Hmmm,

Data I've seen that showed corneal thinning reversed within one month
of discontinuation, though this is outside my normal area. From what
I've seen there are restrictions on who can be corrected with these
specialized contacts for astig.  I dislike using glasses with a VF too.
I've seen clear data that the multi focal radial contacts ( likely as
well in the radial design multifocal replacment lenses with cataract
surgery) reduce contrast and resolution though may still work very
nicely for some.  Whether they can be made with astig correction as
well, I don't know.
Worth a look in any event.
  Perhaps a custom diopter with one of the add on eyecups made by your
optometrist---would clearly need a 2nd version for vertical
orientation. Doesn't sound super convenient but possible. I am
surprised this issue has been so poorly addressed by the manufacturers.
Should be engineered so that the eyecup can be rotated or at least the
custom diopter could be rotated so that the astig. correction is
properly oriented.

Live view focusing is another slower solution.  excuse to get  MKII?

At least the replacement lenses with IOP cataract surgery are
progressing nicely. It appears the ones that hook up to the ciliary
apparatus may be a Leica solution for many. We'll see how the data
holds up.

http://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/iols.htm

http://www.crystalens.com/IsCrystalensRightForYou.aspx

Mike
(who has a self-interest in keeping Dr. Focus in focus)

So my question is how do y'all recommend I do this? A separate
correction lens for the viewfinder? If so, how do I attach it and
account for the need for correct rotational positioning of a lens
designed for astigmatic correction? Or do I just use my distance vision
glasses and adjust the diopter dial on the camera as needed. I've also
just ordered my first ever set of bifocals. They've not arrived yet.
Any problems with using them looking through the viewfinder?

Thanks,
Chuck Norcutt