[OM] Re: Dealing with astigmatism through the viewfinder

Subject: [OM] Re: Dealing with astigmatism through the viewfinder
From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 09:39:51 -0600
A for-what-it's-worth item:

I do my own adapted free version of the "See Clearly Method".  For several
years I wore glasses, but really hated wearing them and my eyes were rapidly
degrading.  It's not that my vision is, uh, correct, but by utilizing this
method, my eyes have stopped (or slowed down) degrading.  Unfortunately, my
eyesight is absolutely worse at about 2-meters, which just happens to be
where most SLR focus screens are optically set at.  Therefore, I need about
a -1.5ish corrective diopter for the viewfinders.  It is wierd, though,
needing to look through a viewfinder to see what the world looks like around
me.  ;)  Computer screens are starting to get a bit more difficult to read,
so I might have to do something in a year or two, unfortunately.  Old age...

The 3Ti and 4Ti have the adjustable diopter which is a Godsend.  I've had to
use a third-party diopter (Minolta) on my OM-2S for years, but the built-in
diopter is definitely a better way to go.  Wayne sent me an OM -3 Diopter
which is MUCH stronger than I need, but I really liked the eyecup.  So I
dialed the adjustable diopter forward to about +1.5 and the -3 eyepiece made
everything perfect for me.  So now both the 3Ti and the 4Ti have the eyecups
(or half cups or whatever you want to descibe them as) and I wonder how I
ever managed for 22 years to use the OM system without them.  (A few weeks
ago I bought the eyecup dohicky for my E-1 too.  A must purchase accessory).

I suppose that one doesn't miss that which they've never had, but from now
on, I know what I'm always going to buy.

AG