[OM] Re: Lexar 4gb CF Deal

Subject: [OM] Re: Lexar 4gb CF Deal
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 10:23:38 -0500
Flash memory may not be as stable as I thought.  I certainly didn't find
anything definitive but a quick web check located a couple references to
10 years.  I'd have guessed more like 50 or 100.  Aluminum DVDs probably
don't have a very long life due to corrosion although double-sided discs
may have much less problem there... no lacquer layer for air and
moisture to penetrate although the edges are still vulnerable.  Gold
DVDs should have a long life of 50 years or more.

Note that when talking about flash memory I'm talking about the
stability of the already recorded bits.  Flash memory also has a write
cycle limitation of 10,000 to 100,000 writes depending on design.  Some
are supposedly up to 1,000,000 writes now.

Chuck Norcutt