[OM] Re: TOPE 36 call for entries, and extended shooting period

Subject: [OM] Re: TOPE 36 call for entries, and extended shooting period
From: WayneS <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2008 21:38:03 -0500
At 03:52 PM 11/9/2008, you wrote:
>Chuck Norcutt wrote:
>> I think I took my last night shot (at least that I can remember) in
>> 1964.....  If I take an OM-4 out on a night shooting task where the only
>> light is tail lights, head lights, building interior lights, etc. will the
>> automode on the OM-4 be able to figure that out?  Will I get a night scene
>> after a second or two or will I get a 30 second exposure that looks close to
>> a daylight shot?
>>
>Shoot with 5D.
>Chimp
>Repeat as necessary.
>Note exposure details.
>Reproduce exposure with OM gear.
>Congratulate self on ownership of such an expensive and sophisticated
>exposure meter. :-)

Sounds like a cop out to me. One of the main reasons I ever picked up
an OM camera was the low light metering. The OM-2 going down to -6EV.
If you can't figure out how to use that feature you might as well be shooting
with any old manual exposure camera, why use the OM in the first place??
The OM-4 can meter to -5EV or up to 4 minutes of auto-exposure.
Just check the reciprocity of the film being used and use the OM camera
at its best.

I have taken many a low light shot with the OM and I would trust it first
over the digital camera meter. It was that reason I abandon the E-1,
it seem Olympus gave up on the style of photography I like most. The
E-1 being really bad with noise.

Also remember that a 2 minute exposure is only 1 stop more than a 1 minute
exposure, there is some latitude to work with. But I suggest trusting the auto
exposure on the OM camera itself.

WayneS