[OM] Re: TOPE 36 call for entries, and extended shooting period

Subject: [OM] Re: TOPE 36 call for entries, and extended shooting period
From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 10:15:00 -0600
 >But if I actually do this I think I'll probably drag the 5 lb. light
>meter with me as Moose suggested.

I'll gladly leave my scrupples packed at home when it comes to night
photography.  I've never experienced great success at night photography
until digital came along.  I prefer film in almost every way in night
photography for the end-result, but exposure determination is always a
hit-and-miss affair.

One primary reason why film is better?  I very much dislike how digital
handles blown highlights, ie, lights.  The transition is never pretty and it
is near impossible to maintain original color of lights within the scene.

For example, photographing fireworks.  With film, you are able to actually
maintain mid-tones and sky color while keeping color in the fireworks
display itself.  With digital, if you even have a hint of sky color, the
fireworks streaks all turn white.  Also, you can select films with varying
degrees of lateral halation which can give you even more options.
Fujichrome Velvia and Provia have substantial lateral halation which
manefests itself rather uniquely:  Bright Red light sources will turn
yellow, surrounded by a red halo.  With digital, I cannot capture the proper
color of fireworks, unless I'm shooting at ISO 100, stopped down to F8 or
so.  It is impossible to get anything else in the scene at that exposure
where the background is easily 10 stops down.

AG