[OM] Re: ZUIKO 35-105MM 35-105/3.5-4.5

Subject: [OM] Re: ZUIKO 35-105MM 35-105/3.5-4.5
From: WayneS <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 20:39:01 -0500
At 05:01 PM 11/10/2008, you wrote:

>   I have been offered this lens, a Zuiko 35-105MM 35-105/3.5-4.5, and was
> wondering if anyone has used this one and how well it performs? I would
> appreciate any and all response, good or bad. TIA. Smitty
>

>Life is not a race, it is a ride. Enjoy it!!

This lens is not bad but not super exceptional either. The 35-80/2.8 is the
latest and best zoom in that range, with the later coatings. Of the lenses
I kept, the 35-80/2.8 is one of them. An exceptional zoom. The 35-105
has the unique close focus feature, so a perfectly acceptable lens.
The lens shade can be shared with the 90mm macro. However, the
rubber lens shades can become reflective and problematic at longer
exposures or bright lights. The metal shades are much better.

Only lenses I regret letting go might be the 21/2 prime, or the 24/2.8.
Several of the more interesting lenses ended up in hands that I knew
would make use of them, like the 24/shift. My 350/2.8 got waylaid at a
camera repair shop in TX, and was never returned. If you want your
stuff repaired, trust John Hermanson, he's the best and most trusted.

My main criteria for a good OM lens is one that is reasonably fast,
if nothing else than to aid focusing. The 35-105 is a nice compromise
lens, but if you plan on acquiring other lenses in that range, this may
end up sitting in the closet more often than the other lenses. I would rather
have an 85/2, a 50 and a wide than this lens in the bag.

WayneS