[OM] Re: TOPE 36 call for entries, and extended shooting

Subject: [OM] Re: TOPE 36 call for entries, and extended shooting
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 19:21:19 -0800
> From: WayneS <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
>
> I have taken many a low light shot with the OM and I would trust it
> first
> over the digital camera meter. It was that reason I abandon the E-1,
> it seem Olympus gave up on the style of photography I like most. The
> E-1 being really bad with noise.

It might be useful to point out that film and digital respond very
differently to long exposures.

With film, grain is constant; it doesn't change with the exposure
length.

With digital, noise is additive, and the longer the exposure, the more
the noise. That's why CCD imagers for astronomy are cooled to liquid
nitrogen temperatures.

Don't use a hammer to pound a screw, and don't criticize digital for
having different strengths and weaknesses from film. Use the right
tool for the job!

:::: People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who
are doing it. -- George Bernard Shaw
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/Item/99AQ25-27>