[OM] Re: Chris Crawford - blog-posted photo of old Cadillac

Subject: [OM] Re: Chris Crawford - blog-posted photo of old Cadillac
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 09:23:50 -0500
The car is a 1956 model.  Like a couple others here my first thought was
that it was a 55 based on the "frenched" headlights (the lip extending
over the top).  I didn't think that appeared until 55 as that was
characteristic of the design of all the 55 American cars I can think of.
  It was also on 56 cars but I thought that by 56 Cadillac had abandoned
the little upward blip on the rear fender that holds the taillight.  But
I was wrong.  The frenched headlights first appeared on Cadillacs in 54
(they were the style setter I guess) and the taillights were mounted on
the same blips from 54-56 except for the Eldorado.   The Eldorado had
some stylish fins in 56 and set the style for others in 57.

The differentiate this car from the similar Cadillac sedans produced
from 54-56 you need to look at the grill (small mesh) and the shape and
location of the turn signal lights (rectangular, under the front
bumperettes).  The 55 had a larger mesh in the grill and the rectangular
turn signal lights were above the bumperettes.  The 54 is more easily
distinguised.  It has an intermediate size mesh grill and the turn
signal lights are above the bumperettes like the 55 but the lights are
more inboard and are round vs. rectangular.  Here they are:

1954  <http://www.misterw.com/Cadillac/54Cad2Dr01.html>
1955  <http://www.misterw.com/Cadillac/55CadCon09.html>
1956  <http://www.misterw.com/Cadillac/56Cad2Dr17.html>

1956 it is.