[OM] Re: TOPE 36 call for entries, and extended shooting

Subject: [OM] Re: TOPE 36 call for entries, and extended shooting
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 23:32:01 +0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "WayneS" <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>

> Perhaps you need to reset the 5D. I believe one of the optimizations
> in the 5D is to store hot pixel information for faster post processing.
> I had a number of hot pixels and had to reset the map. The procedure
> is to operate the Sensor Clean function with a lens attached and
> lens cap on. Then power cycle the camera. This seems to have
> eliminated the hot pixel problem I was experiencing with my 5D.
> This is an undocumented procedure, but seems to work.

I really don't expect this happen to a famous low noise machine. Anyway,
this is a good news, at least the 5D Mark II could be clean up in case
random hot pixel happen to it too.

> The E-1 simply did not perform well for me in low light, independent
> of ISO, auto focus in particular and no IS. And, it was significantly
> noisier
> than a 5D at ISO 800+. Plus the E-1 sensor gets hotter.
> So your experience may be different than mine.
> Olympus is known for making improvements to things over time,
> so your model may be different than the one I had.

I agree E-1's AF is poor but with tripod at ISO100, I got very clean images
for ~10 seconds exposure. Long exposure noise and high ISO noise are
different issues. Long exposure noise for most digital camera is ok if you
use low ISO.

For high ISO, the E-3 perform very well and it has IS too. But for AF it is
still a big issue, not for the sensitivity but for the errors. I believe the
E-30 will solve the AF problem as you can calibrate 20 lenses.

C.H.Ling